Dangerous Lies kept popping up at the top of my list of things Netflix thought I’d like. It had several female lead characters so I watched it.Continue Reading: Review: Dangerous Lies
The other day Sarah Shahi tweeted a pic of her and Amy Acker working together on Person of Interest.
— Sarah Shahi (@onlysarahshahi) September 12, 2013
Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker: I think that’s an interesting combination of stars. Two people that you might not ever expect to see work together and there they are, working together. Look at some of the combinations we are accustomed to seeing – Samira Wiley and Danielle Brooks, Anna Silk and Ksenia Solo, Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander, Ellen Pompeo and Sandra Oh – once we get to know the characters the choices seem inevitable. But up until the moment they were cast and the contracts were signed, all the choices were open.
It made me think about dream actress pairings.
Let’s play casting director!
If you could pair up any two actresses to star in a new movie (or TV show) who would you pick? For our movie let’s say the two are not related but instead are friends or coworkers – or lovers. They are strong, smart, and the lead actors in whatever drama we imagine for them.
I’m picking Ashley Judd and Jennifer Beals. Here are my reasons.
- As far as I know they’ve never appeared together. Teaming up with someone new is the point.
- They are both in their 40s, so the movie doesn’t have to be a “let’s find true love and mate for life” kind of romantic comedy.
- They are both in their 40s, but that doesn’t rule out love stories if the movie needs to include that kind of story. It just shouldn’t be the only thing going on.
- They are both kick ass. Ashley proved she can do the action stuff in her TV series Missing. Jennifer kicked butt in her TV series Chicago Code. So if the movie is about catching bad guys, these two can handle it.
- They are both smart. I’d like to see a story where two leading women characters get to do something smart and clever. If it was a political drama or courtroom drama they could be smart and savvy and make long lines of dialog sound meaningful.
- They are both terrific actors who are under appreciated in the awards department.
- I like them both and will watch anything they do.
I could go on naming combinations of actresses I’d like to see work together as lead characters, but I want to hear your ideas. Who do you think would be an interesting pair-up?