I’ve reviewed a number of foreign language films and TV shows here on Old Ain’t Dead. This is a summary post helping you find them all up to today’s date. I’ve categorized them by language. Some of these may have gone from the various streaming services, check the date of the review if it isn’t where I say it is.
- XXY is from Argentina. It’s the story of an intersex teen. Sensitively done.
- The Invisible Guardian is a thriller from Spain about a police woman who returns to her hometown on a case. The crime and her life intersect.
- The Lighthouse of the Orcas is a about a real park ranger who made friends with whales. There’s an autistic boy in the story.
- Cable Girls is a TV series about women who worked as telephone operators in 1920s Madrid. Soapy but empowering.
- The Time in Between is a sweeping saga of a seamstress who becomes a Spanish spy for the English in WWII.
- Juana Ines tells the story of the famous Mexican nun. This is a fictionalized version of her life.
My friend Ingrid at Second-Half Travels has a list of 20 Spanish-Language TV Shows on Netflix in March 2018, if you need more Spanish suggestions.
The Second Mother from Brazil is a story of class, motherhood, sacrifice, and modern São Paulo.
- Dalida is a biopic about the famous Egyptian/French singer.
- Summertime is a lesbian love story set in the French countryside.
- Divines is a dynamic tale about teens in a Paris suburb.
- No Second Chance is a series based on a mystery novel by Harlan Corben.
- The New Girlfriend is a story about grief told through a lens of sexual fluidity.
- Queen to Play is about a French woman who becomes a champion chess player. It’s set in Corsica.
- The Mantis is a TV series about a serial killer and her copycat.
- The Disappearance is a TV series in the vein of The Killing.
- Witnesses is a TV series featuring a female cop who resorts to some unorthodox methods of crime solving.
- A few comments on Blue is the Warmest Color mixed in with some other stuff.
- Me, Myself and Her is a lesbian love story.
- Love is Not Perfect is about a woman who can’t decide between the love of a man and the love of a woman.
- Phoenix is a World War II story about a woman who returns from a concentration camp. There’s a gaslighting aspect to the tale.
- Dark is a German mystery series with a bit of supernatural, time-travel magic thrown into the excitement.
On Body and Soul is a love story that takes place in a slaughterhouse. Sounds grim, but it’s beautiful.
My Happy Family is about one woman’s desire for a room of her own when her family is too much with her.
The Innocents is in Polish, French and Russian. It’s about a group of nuns who were raped in WWII and are ready to give birth. A French doctor helps them.
- A Man Called Ove tells the story of a curmudgeon you learn to love.
- Annike Bengtzon, Crime Reporter is a series of six films based on best selling crime novels.
- Rebecka Martinsson is an eight part series of mysteries about a lawyer, also based on best selling novels.
- 30 Degrees in February is a series about Swedes who go to Thailand for various reasons. It’s a mix of Swedish, Thai, and English.
- Dicte is a series about a female reporter who gets involved with investigating crimes.
- Rita is a teacher and a rebel of the highest order. One of the all-time best series ever, in any language.
Hinterland is a Welsh/English TV series about a cop living in a remote part of Wales. The version we see in the U.S. is all in English, but a Welsh version is available. It was filmed twice, once in each language.
- Sand Storm is about a Bedouin family in Southern Israel.
- Fatima is about a Moroccan woman struggling to make a life for herself in France. It is in both Arabic and French.
The White Helmets is a documentary about rescue workers in areas of Syrian bombing.
1000 Rupee Note is set in India. It is about a woman who receives a rupee note so large she can’t spend it anywhere because no one can make change.
- Parched is about a group of Indian women who want to free themselves from the rules of the patriarchy. There’s a mix of Hindi and English.
- Margarita, with a Straw is about an Indian girl who goes to New York to college. It is a mix of Hindi and English.
Dukhtar is set in Pakistan. Both Urdu and Pushto are spoken in this film about a woman who fights to save her young daughter from a forced marriage.
The Handmaiden is a Korean remake of Fingersmith. It’s mostly in Korean with some Japanese as well.
Sweet Bean is about an older woman who teaches life lessons and the trick of making bean paste. Delightfully lovely film.
Difret tells the story of a 14 year old Ethiopian girl and the young female lawyer who represents her in her struggle to be free. Based on a real court case and very inspirational.